Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The island of sticks and rocks/Plus 3 reinforcements

Howdy Dowdy,

How is everyone enjoying the weather lately?  I was lucky this past weekend, always seeming to be one step ahead of the storm in Vancouver.  Last thursday was my last midterm for this semester so I figured what a better time to get away for a couple days.  It just so happens to also have been the weekend when one of my best friends was visiting from Newfoundland.

She was here with a friend so the three of us decided to go down to Seattle to do some shopping and see Biffy Clyro at the Crocodile, a place where Pearl Jam and Nirvana got their starts.  Saturday morning started with me picking up the two hungover cackling hens from our friend Brittni's place, she was happen to get rid of them for a night, and we started our journey to the USA.  After crossing the border in pretty good time we hit Bellis Fair and the Seattle Premium Outlet Mall, all the while just staying ahead of the snow.  One thing that I have grown to love in the last few years and this trip just reinforced it is my new found love of wearing colourful clothes and shoes.  I bought three items on the trip, green pair of Converse, bright pink v-neck shirt from Abercrombie and a blue plaid button down shirt also from Abercrombie.  They matched well with my red Converse that I was wearing and my bright orange sweats that were in my bag.

After reaching and relaxing at the hotel we went out for some food downtown at a place called Dope Burger, and boy was that burger so good.  I got the double Dope Burger with a chocolate shake and I was so full after.  There was also a weird adult cartoon playing on the projector screen that had a lot of covered nudity.

Next was the concert where the main band was Biffy Clyro from Britain with Moving Mountains and Phantoms as the opening act.  Both opening acts were pretty good but Biffy was really good.  They had a lot of energy to their show and a nice acoustic set in the middle to slow it down a bit.  Both the girls ended up getting drunk and louder as the night went on, which was not surprising considering they are Newfies.  Their favourite things to yell out were "We're in the States!" "We are from Kanada" "We are from the island of sticks and rocks." They weren't helping the Canadian stereotype much.  I on the other hand stayed my usually relaxed and subdued self as I stayed perfectly sober the entire night.  This just reinforced my belief that I do have the will power to not drink, even being with two hot Newfie's in an international city, watching a concert I didn't crack.

The last reinforcement, which was partly a revelation is that I am finally starting to get a grasp of what the type of girl I am looking for in life.  Being with my friends and strangers in Seattle seemed to open my eyes to what the future may hold for me and while it may have helped me sort some things through, I think it may also be part of the weird feelings in my stomach yesterday. Or that could have just been indigestion from the junk food from the weekend.  I also wouldn't be surprised if the girls one day moved to Seattle cause they both love musicians so much and they seem to be in abundant down there.

The next morning started with me feeling good and the girls feeling like sick, one of the advantages of being sober.  The drive home was a direct one as we all were tired and wanted to relax after the fun weekend.  I had a great time and I will have memories from it for a long time.

I guess that will be all I write today.  I have a lot of topics that I would like to blog about but I don't want to bombard and use up all your free time, plus I have some homework to do before I go to my night class.  Hopefully I can write tomorrow about many more things that I have observed in my short time on this planet.

Have a good day and "HULK SMASH!"

No comments:

Post a Comment