Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Comic Con 2011 Ticket Debacle

Sorry everybody for not blogging the past week, just have been super busy.

One major thing that happened that made me both super happy and mad had to do with Comic Con and Ticket Leaps.  So as some of you may know, most years Comic Con does what is called a "soft release " where they release tickets for next years Comic Con without announcing the date.  I like this approach because true fans that really want to go would be checking daily to see if they are on sale.  This year they decided to change it up and announce the date beforehand, well that has caused some major problems because twice the tickets went on sale and the ticketing company that they used was so overwhelmed that the system shut down.  Its ironic how a convention run by nerds couldn't figure out their internet problems. Finally after a huge delay they announced the new date with a new ticketing company, for some reason unknown to me they used a company called Ticket Leaps, who in their mission statement said to be a small company.  How is a small company going to handle over 100,00 people hitting their site at the same time?

Well the day came and I was online minutes before the starting time, and guess what? The site was already over capacity! So over the next 2 hours I went through torture trying to get Comic Con tickets for this summer.  This included refreshing my page countless amounts of times, waiting until I can get in, and when I got in I found out that the 4-day passes were already sold out.  Great, now I have to buy 4 single day passes, so I selected the appropriate tickets and then had to refresh that page about another 100 or so times to advance to the next page.  After refreshing over 1,000 times in an hour and a half span I finally breath a sigh of relief as I receive confirmation that I have successfully acquired Comic Con 2011 tickets.

So after all of that I am for sure going to Comic Con this year, I only wish I was able to get a 4 day pass cause instead of registering once, I have to now register every single morning.  Oh well, I know I will have a great time cause it is COMIC CON, the biggest comic book convention in the world.  Now the rest of the planning (flight, additional hotels, car rental, costumes) can begin. :)

3 comments:

  1. Another reason that I've heard is that Twilight is now part of the convention. So probably what you end up having are Team Edward and Team Jacob teenagers who are not comic readers buying up all the tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats probably true. Ever since they started previewing upcoming movies and tv shows it has gotten out of control. Don't get me wrong I will be in line to see those panels for tv shows like Chuck and Big Bang, also for the upcoming movies like Avengers, Spiderman and Batman. It just seems like the comics part has gotten smaller and that is the main reason I want to go, to see my favorite artist and writers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool. Go and then blog all about it.

    ReplyDelete