Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sobriety/Control/Hypocrisy/Decision

Hello people of the "free" world, it is I again.

Today I would like to talk to you about something that has been a constant ongoing conversation in my mind, the possible idea of going totally sober.  I have gone through stretches where I don't drink any alcohol for a couple months, partly by choice but also partly cause I am slightly allergic to alcohol.  My allergies are usually kept to certain types of beer, wine, and spirits but there are times where it flairs up so bad that I can't seem to drink anything.  I am currently in one of those fazes, what essentially happens is my face and neck start to go super red and they start to burn.  If I try to drink anymore I can feel my throat start to tighten up a bit and that is the point when I have to stop.

Another main factor for me is simply control, I hate being out of control.  Not being able to remember things or control how I am moving or acting.  I may be an outgoing guy when it comes to subjects that I like, but I don't get super loud or crazily out of control.  Even having one or two beers gives me that relaxed feeling which bugs me most of the time plus the main reason I would even have one is that I like the taste.  Lately though when I go out I don't even have the urge to have a drink anymore, I would rather have a cold glass of water or a tasty protein shake.

The funny, or hypocritic thing is that I worked almost 2 years as a bartender at the Great Bear Pub in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada and now I am currently employed at a liquor store in Port Moody.  So when I am working I am constantly around alcohol and I see the effects it has on people, albeit not as bad as when I was bartending at a neighbourhood pub.  The potentially hard part for me is that I need to know about my product so I can sell it, I have accumulated a lot of knowledge from my years in the industry, its just all the new products especially wine that I need to learn about.  The odd shift I do have some tastings of products but lately I make sure its only 1/8th of an ounce and if its wine I swirl it around and then spit it out so I get the flavor with minimal alcohol.

Ok, so after many years of spotting thinking and hard times learned I have finally come to a decision.  I am going to go 99% sober.  No more beer or wine or spirits when I hang out with friends or at my place, the 1% of alcohol will only be the small amount of alcohol that I consume in tastings at my work.  Will I be sober for the rest of my life? I highly doubt it, I will probably have the odd drink for super special occasions like a glass of champagne at my wedding. There will be times where I will be tempted, like when I go to Comic Con or even next weekend when I go down to Seattle with two hot girls and my best friend.  Its just something that I feel I need to do to live a long and healthy life where I am always fully in control of my life and destiny.

This will be an ongoing internal discussion that will probably last for far to long.  If you have any comments or suggestions or anything don't hesitate to write it down below.

Have a good night and May the Nerd be with you.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have a battle of the will which I think is much better than the battle of the vices and definitely much easier than the battle of the addiction.

    Your allegories to the drink can be a blessing in disguise, so don't think that you can wandering that far off the rail.

    So relax, have a few drinks and hook me up with those 2 hot girls in Seattle.

    ReplyDelete